- Helpful, Understanding Advice
Not everyone is internet savy. We try and make setting up a website as painless as possible by answering the common questions.
Frequently Asked Questions
NEOZEN creates web sites for businesses of all sizes and government departments. However we specialize in helping getting businesses online from ideas to completion, with a minimum of fuss.
Below you’ll see the different questions we’ve answered to better inform you of your website options. If you have a question about web site design or anything associated with establishing a web presence, please feel free to contact us by email: contact us
|General Questions||Web Design Procedure|
What are the benefits of having a web site?
A website can reach out to new markets or it can help retain your current customers. It can act as a multi page advertisement or it can be an online business that generates its own income. It can act as a meeting place, a resource center or even entertain. If you need to advertise, inform, sell, communicate or entertain then a website can be built to fit the bill.
- An advantage of the web compared to traditional media is availability. The web is available 24 hours a day to a global audience. This creates an opportunity to provide valuable information for your customers. A professionally designed website can:
- act as a multi page advertisement
- display the products and services you provide
- enable customers to purchase goods or services
- allow reservations to be made online
- convey branding identity and promote trust
- develop customer loyalty through the provision of services
- provide contact information or direct contact through email
- What is a Domain Name?
Your domain name is an address where Internet users can find you on the web. An example is www.neozen.co.uk. You should have a unique domain name for your website. There are certain rules in place regarding what names you can register particularly if you want a “.co.uk” or “.com” name. NEOZEN can register your domain name or you can search for domain names and buy onlin
- What is Web Hosting?
All the files for your website are kept on one or more computers called web servers. The server computer is said to be a host for your site. In other words, they look after your site and ensure it is available 24/7.
- The web hosting requirements for any site vary according to the technology used to create it. The standard of the service can vary greatly from one company to the next. The speed and reliability of service are crucial as is the level of customer support provided.
- NEOZEN will assist you in choosing a suitable web hosting service that suits the needs of your business. View our web hosting packages.
- How much does a website cost?
There are four basic costs.
- domain name registration
- web hosting
- web design and development
Domain Name Registration
You must register a domain name for your business. The name must comply with certain rules. It will cost around £30 for a “yourbusiness.co.uk” name for two years. A well-chosen domain name can help customer recognition and increase traffic. It is increasingly more difficult to acquire a catchy domain name so a little imagination is required and certain restrictions on names apply, particularly to the “.co.uk” and “.com” domains. NEOZEN can register a domain name for you.
Most small business website hosting requirements fit into the £150 to £200 per year price bracket depending on the size and technology required for your site.
Web Design and Development
Websites vary considerably in size and complexity and so does the time and therefore cost to build them. In a nutshell, you are paying for the time involved in building the site and the level of expertise required to make it work. Most of the websites we design cost between £1200 and £3500 for a custom website and most of these use a content management system and programming to make the sites work as required. If you are after a simple website, let us know your requirements and we will give you some options that will get your business online quickly and on budget. Some websites can be built for as little as £100. If you would like a web design quotation, you can contact us to discuss the pricing options available. Options to achieve your site objectives are discussed in our initial consultation so you can choose the most cost effective method to suit your business. We give a fixed quote with clear design objectives agreed upon at the beginning of the project. Maintenance
The Internet is a dynamic environment and stale web sites just get passed over. Your site needs to change regularly to keep visitors coming back. Three options are: We build a database driven site where you can edit your own content. Initially more expensive (£300 – £500 per module) but free of any ongoing maintenance costs. This option is best for medium to larger websites or any website where content is to change regularly.
- How you will pay for?
- You don’t need to provide any payment details at the moment you quote. When the new project objectives are stated we will email you a payment request using Google Checkout. The payment is 100% secured and processed by Google – the most trusted brand on Internet
WEB DESIGN PROCEDURE
- Free initial consultation – We have an initial meeting to determine the purpose of your website and gather information on your target audience. We will discuss your ideas on the appearance of the site as well as the functionality you expect it to provide. We explain the technologies involved in the more complex designs using plain language and offer pricing packages on the variations we discuss. Other issues such as site structure can be decided and a potential site map drawn up.
- We provide you with a written quote – Based on our initial meeting we offer you a web design proposal.
- Collate website content – Content such as text and images is collated and the need for either modification or extra content is discussed. The content is arranged in a way that will allow users of your site to quickly find what they are looking for and allow high priority functions of your site to operate smoothly. The site map could be adjusted at this stage and ideas are suggested to improve delivery of the content
- Domain Name and Website Hosting – Domain names are decided and registered. Appropriate hosting services are purchased.
- Design and Development
- Design Mock – A draft design (look and feel) and/or page samples are prepared for your approval.
- Database Design (if required) – The database that holds your website content is custom designed to fit the functions of the website.
- Production – All resources required for the project are collected or produced.
- Ongoing Consultation – We design and develop your site with ongoing consultation and testing.
- Site goes live – After your approval the site goes online with your choice of web hosting partner.
- Fine Tuning – We monitor the traffic to your site so we can make suggestions for improvement in either holding the web users attention or increasing the number of visitors to the most important pages.
– What do I need to supply?
Because you know your business and market best, your input is valuable to designing an effective site. Generally we supply you with a list of necessary items with our website planning worksheet but we leave the amount of control in the design process up to you.
- It will save you time and money if you have any of the following items:
- text content
- company logos or letterhead
- quality photographs or images
- previous print advertising material
If your business does not have the time or the resources, we can take care of all the content. This can include copy content, original photography, logo design and branding.
- It usually takes about 1 week for a small site with up to 5 pages.
- For larger sites with interactivity, rich graphic content, flash animation, original photography or advanced programming it can take 3 weeks or more.
- A large e-commerce or database driven site will usually take 3 weeks or more.
- Hosting and domain name registration only take a few days.